1. The “Local Experience”. We stayed in a campsite located in the middle of the forest, at least 30 minutes away from the nearest village, a life without mobiles and tablets, woken up at dawn everyday by the pet rooster; enjoyed the local diet of rice and zebu(local cattle) meat; hiked daily among the mountains, passing by charming always smiling local villagers scampering by.
2. Expanded my knowledge database exponentially. I am originally from a Biology background, and I have been able to gain so much more knowledge about the endemic species of Madagascar and the ecology.
3. Accumulated valuable Survey Skills. We performed surveys in the forests of Nosy Komba. This was also a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to observe the endemic species of Madagascar in their undisturbed natural habitat.
4. Met people from everywhere! From Canada to Australia, Iceland to Columbia!
5. Fun, Fun, Fun! This volunteering trip has been possibly the best experience of my life till now.
A big thank you to MRCI 😀