- Full time
- Madagascar, Nosy Komba Island
- $150 USD/month
- 1 month trial period
- 3 to 6 month contract
- Accommodation at our Turtle Cove Camp
- 3 Meals per day everyday
- Flight and travel expenses
- Visa/ visa renewal costs
As a small organisation all must be flexible and prepared to get involved in all aspects of the company. There will be times when all staff will be requested to help with a certain project, and other times where responsibilities differ from the formal job description. In the main course of business however, jobs and tasks are as follows.
- PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor or higher.
- EFR teaching status.
- 3 years’ experience as a PADI professional.
- Fluent in English, other languages such as French a bonus.
- Previous management experience.
- Experience in equipment maintenance and managing diving supplies, including compressors, consumables, and diving gear.
- Experience in managing divers across a range of skill levels.
- Excellent organizational and logistics skills.
- Experience working with people from a range of locations and cultures.
- Consummate professional, self-motivated, and team player.
- Experience working for a marine NGO or conservation focused organization.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Knowledge of marine science and underwater surveying techniques.
- Experience of budget management and report writing.
- Equipment technician speciality.
- Experience in living and working in remote locations.
- Provide all PADI dive training from Open water to Divemaster for all expedition staff, local staff, volunteers and scholars.
- Keeping to deadlines and ensure that accurate student records are kept.
- Assist with the maintenance of all MRCI general equipment and diving related equipment including, but not limited to: boat, outboard engines, tanks, generators and compressors.
- Making sure unsafe equipment is taken off line until serviced/repaired.
- When necessary source spare parts for diving equipment and boat/outboards.
- Responsible for the safe keeping of all diving equipment.
- Hold pre dive safety briefings, ensuring all divers are aware of the dive profile, and re-enforce diving standards.
- Present a diving safety presentation to all new expedition staff, volunteers and scholars within 24hours of their arrival.
- Responsible for all aspects of scuba diving safety, enforcing strict diving standards.
- Keep accurate records of all diving equipment and spares, including taking regular stocktakes.
- In conjunction with the Science Team organise/supervise the daily diving and snorkelling activities ensuring the daily survey dives are planned, supervised, operate smoothly and go out on-time.
- Participate in the science training programs and once trained take part in the science survey dives.
- When necessary take new volunteers/scholars on science dives during training.
- Understand the risks associated with each volunteer position and take appropriate action to control the risks associated with the program
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, supportive environment and receive the appropriate level of supervision.
- When needed, spend more time with local staff/scholars who are not fluent in English.
- Help with the running of the various on-going projects in the local community. Participate in these community projects, organising and supervising volunteers when necessary.
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the volunteer program and MRCI.
- Have an active role in the regular update of social media pages.
- Ensure head office receive updated and regular film and / or photographic materials in order to promote and advertise MRCI programs.
- To work as a team member ensuring the companies best interests.
- Enforce the house and all safety rules and ensure discipline and good behaviour is carried out throughout the project and volunteers.
- Assist with the coordination and supervision of new arrival volunteer airport and hotel transfers where necessary.
- Manage the budget and finances of all diving operations.
- Oversee all Health and Safety aspects of staff and volunteers on site, both in water and on land.
- Ensure that dive operations run in accordance with MRCI policies and PADI standards.